Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Embracing My Celtic Roots


And what a beautiful St. Patrick's Day it is. The sky is a perfect robin's egg blue...the birds are singing...the trees are covered in spring blooms in shades of pink ranging from the palest, almost white, to a vivid almost red. It's a warm day, but step into the shade and it feels a little nippy. A perfect day, if you ask me.


I decorated this wreath with ivy, white daisies, and a porcelain plaque with an Irish Blessing. The potatoes are a reference to the great potato famine, in Ireland, that caused my husband's ancestors to leave their homeland and immigrate to the United States.



This woolen wrap is perfect for a crisp spring day. It's made of the softest Irish wool. I love the Celtic knot design.................


And the colors are reversed on the other side. I have options!
Again, Celtic knots are a favorite of mine. Couldn't resist these earrings.


I've found a wonderful Irish fragrance called ...Innisfree.

The packaging describes the fragrance this way................

"The essence of Ireland. A celebration of femininity and nature. A magical fruit and floral fragrance including lavender oil distilled from our own fields in County Wicklow. Beneath the description, a quote:


"And I shall have some peace there,

for peace comes dropping slow......"

-W. B. Yeats 'The Lake Isle Of Innisfree'



It's always been a favorite of mine.



I'm dressed in the items that reflect my Celtic roots. After dinner, I have a date with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara as they navigate the obstacles that hamper their wedded bliss. No St. Patrick's Day is complete, until you've watched The Quiet Man...it's a tradition at my house.



I'll leave you with the Irish Blessing that hangs on my wreath.............

May the road rise to meet you.

May the wind always be at your back.

May the sun shine warm upon your face,

the rain fall soft upon your fields.

And until we meet again,

may God hold you in the palm of his hand.

Kay

6 comments:

Betty said...

What a lovely post!

I always think of the Irish quote on St. Pat's Day..."May you be in heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead." Teehee.

Yeats is one of my favorite poets...love your quote!

My word verification is 'shonsith'...almost sounds Irish to me.

Rose Brier Studio said...

What a lovely plethora of green. During the potato famine, my great-great grandfather Ryan was put on a boat at the age of 12 and sent to America. I can barely imagine what his mother must have felt sending her boy off, knowing that if he stayed in Ireland he might starve. But also knowing she might never see him again. What a choice! Luckily he survived and flourished in his new country.
Happy St Pat's Day,
~Marilee

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is the best post I have seen re St Patrick's Day on the blogs. Quite beautiful. I also have that poem and my friend Kimme (Irish Cottage Dreams) used it on her St Pat's Day post.
Wonderful, wonderful. I love it. Best wishes...Pam, Ireland

vicki archer said...

Such lovely images and wonderful sentiments. Have a very happy weekend, xv.

Fete et Fleur said...

Your wreath is beautiful! My hubby is a Celt as well and St. Patrick's Day is always a big day for us. The fragrance looks and I'm sure smells heavenly.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Lovely wreath.
The Isle of Innisfree is about 20 minutes drive from where I live. It's a very pretty place.