Saturday, September 5, 2009

THE PATH LESS TRAVELED




It's a beautiful late summer day. The sun feels warm, but there's a faint hint of change in the air. The sky is such a brilliant shade of robin's egg blue, that it makes the your heart sing........a great day for a walkabout. We (hubby and I) headed straight for the countryside to explore a new area we'd heard about.

We'd taken only a few steps, when the path we were walking, split........the two branches veering off in opposite directions. One path meandered into a grove of shade trees, before it disappeared from sight. Hmmmm.......green, lush and shady. Very tempting, on such a warm day. But, the other path led straight into a wide, sun filled meadow, thick with wildflowers that were taller than me. We chose the wildflowers, and we weren't disappointed.






Our experience reminded me of this poem by Robert Frost.



Robert Frost (1874–1963). Mountain Interval. 1920.

The Road Not Taken


TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.




Bees droned, and butterflies fluttered all about. It was a magical scene!





The colors were brilliant, even in the harsh midday sun.




The coppery yellows of the rudbeckia, gave a nod to the changing fall palette.



This thistle, with it's downy purple seed heads, and sharp, spiny stems and leaves, stood tall and straight, like a sentinel keeping watch over the meadow.



We chose the path less traveled.......and that made all the difference.







Then we rushed home for a a quick shower, and some dinner because ..............
tonight we're seeing this!



Have a wonderful, safe, weekend.

Kay

9 comments:

Peg said...

Hope you are having "Wicked" fun! Your photos are beautiful... love the narrow depth of field! I wish I knew more about apeture.

Outstanding Stranger said...

You lucky pup Kay, I would love to see Wicked. Enjoy wish I was in the next row..Diane

Claudia said...

Gorgeous photos, Kay! Spectacular! I love that poem; it is one of my favorites!

white o'morn cottage said...

Wonderful walk. Quite beautiful photos..love 'em.

Rose Brier Studio said...

What a lovely walk. Thanks for taking us along.
I want to see Wicked, so badly...one of these days I will. Hope you enjoyed it enormously.
~Marilee

Anonymous said...

I'm glad too that you took this path. In the first photo where it is showing the way - you already knew there's something wonderful ahead. And it is beautiful!

Li

Mrs. Wright said...

Your road was a wonderful experience for you and "hubby"...I love the Frost poem. My son attends NSA and wanted to see Wicked this evening but I had to remind him that we saw it on Broadway in New York! One can never get enough of theatre. Enjoy and remember to giggle while holding hubby's hand!

Betty said...

The first State Park we went to on our trip was really busy; the last place we went there were three campground host couples and only six of us camping in the whole park for the first four days...it was wonderful. I've always been the type to take the 'road less traveled'...love the solitude, peace and quiet. Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos.

Fete et Fleur said...

Beautiful journey. Did you like Wicked?

Nancy