Friday, January 2, 2009

Turning The Page and Handmade Gifts

The past month has been such a flurry of activity! Planning gatherings, hosting gatherings, buying and wrapping gifts, decking the halls, cooking and baking...and preparing the bedrooms for house guests, again and again. One group leaves, and another arrives. My son-in-law has dubbed my home "The Holiday Flynn".....but early this morning, the last of the visitors departed. My daughter, and my granddaughter, Molly, with their little dog "Snowflake" in tow, hopped in the car and drove away........
Molly and Snowflake
....leaving Me, John, and our little dog "Lady", standing in the driveway in our PJs and robes, (I'll spare you that picture) waving until the car had disappeared from sight. As we walked back into the house, wearing our long faces, because we missed them already, it hit me...the deafening sound of SILENCE. The unmistakable sign that the old year had ended, with much celebration, and that the new year had begun.....a page had turned.






Handmade Gifts

Molly, in addition to being my granddaughter, is also my kindred spirit. She is an artist who enjoys the creative process. This Christmas, she surprised me with two beautiful gifts that no sewing basket should be without. I must add, that she not only designed the gifts, but she sewed each of them by hand.

The first is a lovely yellow and blue needle book. Notice how she added a decorative edge to the blue fabric.My needles will be well protected in this fine needle book.


The second gift is a wonderful pin cushion. The pin cushion that I currently use isn't big enough to accommodate the number of pins that I use in my projects, but that problem is now solved. I won't have any trouble finding space for my pins on this cushion.Two very nice, handmade pieces..... created by a very nice eight year old. Just had to share!
Kay













5 comments:

Betty said...

Molly and Snowflake are just adorable! I know you had a wonderful holiday and look forward to a peaceful new year. Take care.

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous..(in the best possible way!)

To have been given such treasures...to have a grandchild to give one such treasures! Treasures to cherish...

Treasure both....love Pam ( a grandma in waiting/wishing/wanting)

Sandy said...

Aww, tell Molly that her gifts are wonderful! I know you will treasure them just as you treasure her! Thanks for stopping by for a visit and for your congrats on our joyous news. Today everyone is back in place here to and I admit it is a bit quite but I feel ready to claim the new year. I hope you have a wonderful week!

Outstanding Stranger said...

Well, I can picture the three of you standing in the driveway waiving and I have heard the silence. Without disappointment there would be no joy....Have a blessed new year. Love, Diane

Selia's Art said...

How sweet! I love her hand made gifts and such a pretty girl! So thoughtful...

Blessings,
Selia